Belt press sludge dewatering is a process that facilitates the separation of sludge into solids and liquids by processing sludge in a belt press filter. This sludge dewatering solution is frequently used in municipal and industrial waste water treatment plants, and it is particularly favoured by mining, pharmaceutical and petrochemical industries.
Municipalities most commonly use belt press sludge filters for sewage and silt dewatering, the goal being to significantly reduce sludge volume prior to further treatment and waste disposal. This results in reduced energy and transportation costs.
Belt Press Dewatering has also found application within the wine-making process and in fruit juice extraction.
The dewatering process
During the dewatering process, a system of belts convey sludge or fruit mash through rollers and filters which separates solids from liquids producing solid cake and filtrate.
The advantages of belt press sludge dewatering
Compared to other compression dewatering processes, belt press sludge dewatering offers significant advantages:
- Belt press filtration systems have low establishment costs
- The process is less noisy
- Belt press sludge dewatering enables a higher processing capacity
- Equipment operation and maintenance is simple, inexpensive and requires less staff
- The equipment is reliable and has a long life
- The process has lower energy needs
Oceania Water Treatment recommends and distributes the Teknofanghi MONOBELT®, a state-of-the-art belt press filter designed and manufactured to superior standards.